Two weeks ago I went to my friend’s baby shower, and I painted a little card to go with her gifts. The card became a crowd favorite, and it’s left me with a desire to send this cute girl on adventures riding her flying kitty. Sometimes the best pieces are the simplest!
I made some business cards for my good friend and acupuncturist Amy P at BiaoHealth. She commissioned the illustration from me several years ago for her lecture on facial acupuncture that she did at the Asian Art Museum, and I was pleased to give it a whole new life on the backs of her new cards.
I’ve also been practicing inking with a brush. For the past few years I’ve been drawing with pens, but switching back to a brush I’m blown away by the LUSHNESS that you can get with your lines! Now I’m inking my comic pages with a brush, and they’re not only going faster, but they’re turning out unlike anything else I’ve drawn. Very excited to share more of these as they progress, I’ve been pushing myself to find the right tone for my next comic, and I think I finally hit it.
Also, Sakura just came out with a new #PIGMA brush, and they gave out samples at the last Quick Draw SF, and they’re quickly becoming my favorite new tool! I can’t find them anywhere yet, though…
Instagram is my favorite social platform, and lately I’ve been taking screenshots of my favorite instagram images, and found myself curating a little gallery. So, here’s my favorite instagram drawings from April, there’s some amazing artists to follow here, both old friends and new:
- @alanforbes – SF psych rock poster god
- @annakoak – Koak is creating the comic you’ll be crying over in ten years.
- @anomysup led me to @conradroset – beautiful watercolors
- @kentwms – just study his posts and hope to absorb some of the painting magic
- @helllllenjjjjjo – coolest cartoon girls on the block
- @lauracallaghanillustration – a new discovery, bright lovely lady illustrations
- @aprolee – I’m in love with his tattoo style
- @mollietuggle – new discovery, her poster style invokes a classic
- @elfandiary – beautiful, fine portrait paintings
- @comicsdestroyer – it’s never a bad time to be reminded how much I adore Paul Pope
- @jacquelindeleon – I want to read this comic
And don’t forget to follow me at @jamdye.
That’s all for today, happy Monday!